Check out my most recent blog posts:


Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Welcome to India!

"Hello sir, welcome to my crazy country."

Most guidebooks or slogans about India say things like, "India is a feast for the senses." Or "Incredible India!", or something like that. Three different times today, someone has welcomed me to their crazy country. At this point, I would tend to agree.

In half a day here, I have seen large monkeys (baboons?) running on top of city buildings, grown accustomed to cattle in the streets, been attempted to be scammed twenty times at least, and had between 10 and 20 people come up to us asking to take photos with me, or Brittany, or us both. There are people and rickshaws and animals and trash and beggars and old cars absolutely everywhere. Its complete chaos.

Upon landing, it seemed like we entered the early 1970s. Our plane was probably 40 years old and was literally falling apart inside. Then, we made our way to a sketchy communist era taxi from the 1940s. Eventually, we found our hotel.

Delhi has been really interesting, overwhelming, and sweaty all at once. This morning we went to the red fort and a huge mosque in old Delhi. Definitely the only white people in the huge mosque that seats over 25,000 people. Elsewhere along the way we explored several bazaars selling everything from books to t-shirts and saris to car parts. We ate with our hands (don't worry mom, I used Purell first) at an amazing lunch at a tiny, hole-in-the-wall place called Karim's. We even found an iced coffee restaurant with AC to escape the heat and a great park by the parliament house with trees and therefore shade.


So far, its been quite an introduction to my new country of residence. I am not sure I can call it my crazy country yet. But I think I can call it crazy.

No comments: