Check out my most recent blog posts:


Thursday, July 5, 2007

Final Shanghai Thoughts

First, wrapping up some loose ends:

I have been meaning to write about an interesting conversation I had with Jian Shuo about Chinese naming. But he beat me to it and explained Chinese naming much better than I could.

Second, I got a haircut today. A bold move I realize, since “not too short” was not one of the mandarin phrases I have learned. But it’s very hot, and I can’t go the whole summer with no haircut (when I have a job). It was a nice place though, and it is a good haircut, just too short. I look a bit like a white, 5’11” Yao Ming (no disrespect intended for Yao Ming or his hairstyle).

Finally, Beijing is planning to ban 1 million cars from the road for two weeks to test its effect on reducing pollution (Thanks Susan!)

Now, on to some Shanghai thoughts.

I was very surprised when I realized this week that I am not at all ready to leave Shanghai. As everyone knows, I am always ready to move on to try new adventures. But my time here has been great and I wish I could stay longer.

I have been going through and trying to hit some hot spots in my last few nights here. I went to the top of the Grand Hyatt in Pudong for some drinks (although my shorts and flip-flops kept me from the bar on the 87th floor, the view was still pretty cool). I have been back to 3 on the Bund and had drinks at the roof cafĂ© there overlooking the river. Probably my favorite place in Shanghai. I went back to Xiantiandi and to People’s Square and walked around and ate some food. I went to Yueyuan and bought some souvenirs. I took some pictures from the office and from the walk to and from work.

I think Shanghai is a great city. People complain that it is too much about spending money. They say it’s like New York, but without the cultural and artistic side (though some would say the real culture has been pushed out of Manhattan and into the boroughs anyway). Most local Chinese think Beijing is a better place to live because there is “real culture” there. Apparently there are 10 artists in Beijing for every 1 in Shanghai. That may be true, but I would pick Shanghai over Beijing for sure.

Another common complaint is that Shanghai is too western. I think Shanghai may be western-friendly but it is decidedly non-western. There are definitely McDonald’s and KFC’s and Starbucks all around. But there are countless more tiny restaurants and shops and local establishments. Somehow, the colonial influence of the French Concession and the modern skyscrapers with neon lights work together and give Shanghai a feel that is not western, and probably isn’t Chinese either, but is something all its own.

A few final photos:

Views from the office

Pudong
Xujiahui (taken on my commute)

No comments: